The Hillenbrand Community Leadership Grant was distributed in 2019 to Ripley County Schools to assist with programs that promote positive leadership skills amongst students. In 2019, the grant recipients included:
- Batesville High School ($500) – to support the Kiwanis Student Leadership Academy (KSLA), which allows students to build connections between students and enhance community spirits though leadership retreats, trainings, and service projects
- Batesville Intermediate School ($290) – to support the Positive Behavior Student Leadership Team, which is designed to encourage well-mannered, confident, and independent students
- Milan Elementary School ($500) – to support the Leader in Me Program, which assists students in learning the 7 habits of becoming good citizens of tomorrow [1) be proactive, 2) begin with the end in mind, 3) put first things first, 4) seek first to understand, only then to be understood, 5) think win-win, 6) energize, and 7) sharpen the saw]
- Oldenburg Academy ($500) – to support Student Council members as they attend a leadership retreat, which will allow students to learn and understand their leadership style
- South Ripley Elementary School ($500) – to support the Sixth Grade Ambassador program, which provides students with strategies for teaching character skills and serving as a mentor to their peers and younger students
A little over six months later, we are now able to see the results and impact the grant had on the school programs. A Batesville Intermediate Teacher, Shannon McBeath, said, “Students absolutely love being rewarded for their good behavior, and this grant helped us do some really fun things.” A teacher of the KSLA said, “The time at Jameson Camp is highly valued and productive, and we appreciate your help in providing the funds that allowed these students to make lasting memories that fostered character development through the process.”
If you are interested in donating to the Hillenbrand Community Leadership Fund or making a positive impact on your local community, please visit the Ripley County Community Foundation’s website at https://rccfonline.org/how-to-give/.